Iowa State Fair Bonsai Show – Sunday, August 14
Deadline to enter is July 1, 2022
We had a great show last year
WE CAN HAVE A BETER ONE THIS YEAR
After much discussion it has been decided by the IBA BOD that trees that won any of the four major awards at the Iowa State Fair in 2021 will not be eligible for those awards the following year. The major awards are “Best of Show,” from the State Fair and any of the three premium awards offered by the IBA. Those trees are still eligible for any other ribbons awarded by the Iowa State Fair judge.
PLEASE PARTICIPATE AND HELP TO SUPPORT BONSAI PRACTICE IN IOWA
I will be sending out a pre-entry layout layout of the tables for tree placement soon. Now is the time to identify the trees that you will be grooming for the show.
Bonsai – Division 205 is under the Category “Iowa Family Living” and the subcategory “Floriculture Division 201-208.” The following apply:
- Iowa Family Living general rules and regulations apply in this department. In case general rules conflict with Floriculture Department general or special rules, the latter shall govern.
- SUBMITTING ENTRIES. Entries may be made online at www.iowastatefairentry.org. Entries may also be made by printing the Iowa Family Living form available at www.iowastatefair.org. Complete entry form and return it with full payment of all fees to: Iowa State Fair, Iowa Family Living Department, P.O. Box 57130, Des Moines, Iowa 50317-0003.
- ENTRY DEADLINE IS JULY 1. Entries must be submitted online or postmarked on or before July 1.
- ENTRY FEE. Each exhibitor, as a requirement for entry, will pay an entry fee. Tags will be issued based on the number listed on the entry form. No additional tags will be issued after July 8. Please list the EXACT number of tags you would like to receive.
- General Floriculture rules listed in the front of this department will apply. Should general and special rules conflict, the latter will govern.
- Novice is defined as an exhibitor that has been practicing the Art of Bonsai for less than five years.
- Best of Show to be chosen before judging for ribbon premiums.
- Exhibits must be in place by 8:00 a.m. and remain until 7:00 p.m. Judging will be done by a qualified judge – starting at 8:00 a.m.
- 176 Novice – any tree, any style
(A Novice is defined as a person who’s tree has not yet one a ribbon)
- 177 Open – any tree, any style
Complete rules and regulations are set forth on the Iowa State Fair Entries website.
The Entry Fees: There is a Flat fee of $10 for the first 10 entries (per department), $.50 for each additional entry (in same dept.) unless otherwise noted. In other words: You pay $10.00 to enter the show. For that $10.00 you can enter any number of trees between 1 and 10, but you must state the number of trees that you are entering on the entry form.
Clink on this link for further information or to begin the submission process: https://www.iowastatefair.org/participate/competition
- Select the category, Iowa Family Living. Select Section Floriculture.
You may send in your application online or you may print out the application and mail it in.
Click on the link to register or Log on as a User https://iowastatefairentry.org/login.aspx
- Fill out the form and we will contact you about the show.
Please remember the deadline is July 1, 2022.
Please contact David Richmond at [email protected] with any questions and tell me how many trees you will bring. We can also answer your questions at the next Club meeting.